- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Friday, November 14, 2008

Train fatality: elderly victim ruins rail commute

My suggestion is that in five hundred years time, when Auckland finally gets an electrified rail system that there be no level crossings whatsoever. Level crossings are hazardous, unsafe and an inconvenience for foot and vehicle traffic. The Auckland rail system is a (barely) running joke. We had electric trams from 1902-1957, Wellington has had electric trains since the 1930s at least, but modern Auckland is in the stone ages when it comes to public transport. Central and local government pour millions upon millions into subsidising a system that doesn't even have single ticketing FFS.

There are so many problems in so many areas. It is unspeakably frustrating. You see swanky bus shelters with no timetables, but big illuminated advertising billboards. You see train platforms built only a few years ago that cannot take more than four carriages and so are doomed to be inefficient and loss-making.

I feel like fucking screaming at those cock-sucking fucking arseholes who are shitting billions away on fuck all and sacking every last mother fucking one of them.

The cunts can't even put clocks at the railway stations. Not one clock exists on the Western line. Not one. Not a single fucking clock. None. Why? They don't want us to know that they are running late - that is the only possible answer. Because they fork out for kilometres of yellow dots for blind people but not a single clock. Major bus stops all over the city have scrolling displays updating bus waiting times - nothing at the train stations. Pathetic does not come anywhere near describing the situation.

We need an Auckland Transit Agency to plan and build and operate a comprehensive electrified commuter rail system. No level crossings, stations that aren't glorified shacks and ticketing done at the gate like any normal system. We need it to have it's own mandating legislation, and own revenue stream, so local government cock-heads can't fuck with it, and we need it now - we should have had it in the 1930s, but I'll settle for sometime within the first 100 days of the Mactional government.

This fatal incident affected me personally, very deeply. So here's my story about how her death touched my life:

I'm out West, in Henderson and I have to get back, so I briefly think that catching the train is the way to go. Avondale station is close to home. But I'd sworn off the train because of the repeated bullshit delays and cancellations and have vowed never again. As I walk past I see a train at the station waiting, but no - I know better, I walk on. To the bus stop at the other end of town. The bus is there and I ask the driver if they go direct or is there a tiki tour. For Africa apparently, so I decline. The scrolling sign says 26 minutes to the next bus. Is this Bayswater on a Sunday at 10pm? Because I'm in fucking Henderson at 3 o'clock in the fucking afternoon on a weekday and they can't organise a bus to go down Great North fucking Road for 26 fucking minutes!? Un-fucking-believable.

So, fuck it - let's catch the bloody train then. It could not possibly be any later than the bus.

Power walk past one grossly overweight ugly person after another, through the centre of Henderson to the over-blown Bob Harvey Memorial Municipal Euro-Wank Headquarters of the Waitakere City Council where the station is attached... without a single clock. The train is - miraculously - still there. I figure it will pull out as soon as my feet hit the platform, but before I could get there someone sees my haste as I'm marching along the overpass and informs me there's been an "incident at New Lynn" and the trains are cancelled. I stop. I look down. The train is empty and isn't actually aligned to the platform. Helpful - typically helpful - commentary from some grossly overweight and ugly woman about "at least you got the exercise" greet me as I turn back to go down the escalator. I should of said what I thought. But I was constrained by social conventions. I should have pushed the bitch down the fucking escalator and walked right over the top of her pausing only momentarily to say "How's that exercise workin' for ya." Social conventions yet again prevented me from doing what would have been right and just and educational. I know. I know! I'm weak that way.

So some poor bus driver displaying "Rail Bus" is telling every bewildered and frantic train patron at the adjoining bus stop that he's going on to Ranui or something and if we're heading to Britomart to go over the other side. He has to tell everyone that individually as they come up and try to get on the bus. After a five minute wait - mercifully - a bus arrives and we do this tiki tour through the suburban back blocks to meet up with every train station in the bush. We get to New Lynn and a train is there but no-one is getting on and I can't see any ambulance or police so the "incident" did not occur at the station. The train conductor on the bus gets off and the driver makes the call to continue to Avondale where the train journey can resume. Good. Just get me the fuck home. And we swing around the bus station that is so poorly designed that buses have to stop to give way to other traffic to get out. I mean what the fuck is the point. And the route the buses take in and out is as ill considered and pointlessly inefficient as anything that Auckland planners could have designed: a complete double-back through a heavy foot traffic area with endless streams of people using the pedestrian crossing to go to and from the very busy Lynn Mall. Idiotic. Utterly idiotic when there is approaches either side and behind. But that's Auckland. What a fucking mess.

So we get to Avondale and there is maybe a hundred people or more on the platform. The schools are out now and there's kids everywhere. Anarchy.

This is why I don't catch the train. Every attempt to use the "service" is risky and often painful. It just makes me angry, when it should be pleasant.


I'm not in a compassionate mood because of this latest drama, I don't want to be fucked around a second longer than is absolutely necessary. So fuck that dumb bitch. Fuck any dumb cunt that tries to take on a bloody train. The eighty-nine different agencies that attempt to operate the rail system in Auckland should each claim against that incomprehensibly stupid woman's estate for losses. If that report is correct, then fuck her hard.

... harsh? Darwinianly harsh.

Given my mood I say turn the windscreen squirters around so that they can spay away the blood and keep on rollin'. There will be no delays. Attach a video camera at the front of the engine to record it all for prosperity. Burn it to disc and courier a copy to the coroner. Screen it on loops at Britomart as a warning. Put the still images on the back of tickets and at foot crossings like they do with other health consequences on ciggy packets.

There isn't a single type of person that gets hit by a train - all sorts of people do, on foot or in bikes or in cars or trucks. Inattentiveness, arrogance, misjudgements - whatever, I don't care - I don't. There shouldn't be any level crossings at all in the system. This type of incident ought to be impossible. At the moment dogs often stray across and are hit, anyone can wander on to any part of the track in Auckland - any part. Large sections are unfenced - in fact the rail people do not fence any of it. This pisses me off because if one child - a person who cannot be expected to be as aware and conscientious as an adult - gets run over by a train then their blood will be on the hands of every planner and every person who was in a position to fence or remove those level crossings and failed to do so.

9 Comments:

At 14/11/08 8:24 am, Blogger Carol said...

Tim, I share your frustration with the Western Line that I use frequently. Though it is fairly reliable most of the time, and prefer it to the buses. I agree that there needs to be a big improvement of the rail system.

However I am apalled at the mysogynistic language you use to express this frustration, and at the disparaging of workers based on superficial appearances.

 
At 14/11/08 10:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim lets his true personality show through.

 
At 14/11/08 11:31 am, Blogger Bryan Spondre said...

Tim mate, you gotta calm down, it's no good for your health :-)

Perhaps you should move closer to where you work or work from home ? I use the public transport including the train but only for recreational trips as it's cheaper than car parking and I can work while I am waiting. Otherwise walking to work is cheap, environmentally friendly and doesn't harm any taxpayers.

 
At 14/11/08 12:17 pm, Blogger Paul said...

...Burn.


I couldn't imagine living soo far from work, takes me 30 minutes to bike to/from work, and I'm a fat bastard. <3 ChCh (lol).


Also, my word verification is "duckbo" :)

 
At 14/11/08 12:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Auckland needs a vastly faster system. At the moment, you stop at the crossing and waaait. And waaaait. And you think...maybe I could just hop across there, I mean, I'm sprightly, for an 80 year old. With a faster system, not only do you get to destination faster, but it makes any kind of crossing utterly untenable. You get to.."Well I can't see it coming maybe if I just....." and then that's it.

Trouble is, I don't think the rails can handle the speed. Not sure but I think this is the limiting factor on speed.

 
At 14/11/08 4:53 pm, Blogger Cactus Kate said...

Those Chinese women age well.

As a female the most fabulous compliment paid could be that you are described as between 50 and 70 in age at the time of your death.

If you are 70 of course :)

 
At 14/11/08 11:36 pm, Blogger Blair said...

For the life of me I can NOT understand how ANY OTHER OBJECT could possibly collide with a train. They are big and loud and travel on two rails. They don't jump off the rails and make attempts to hunt you down. There are LOUD FREAKING BELLS at every bloody crossing of the tracks. How the FUCK could anybody be STUPID enough to get in the path of a train when it is FREAKING OBVIOUS that the train is fast, has nowhere else to go, and can't slow down very quickly.

All these people who whine about making it safer... how safe do you want it?! Loud train, loud bells, lights, horns, big object on fixed tracks bearing down on you... how about just not fucking with the train, allright?!!!! Anybody who takes on a train deserves to be removed from the gene pool.

 
At 15/11/08 11:44 am, Blogger Jends Fisher said...

Did anyone see the drunk last week on Police 10/7 who was taking a shit over the edge of the platform and got hit the by train? Classic.

 
At 15/11/08 3:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, classic Tim. You start with hand-wringing liberalism (save us from the hazards oflevel crossings), before building to froth level 5 for the finish. Shame to ruin it by insisting on level crossings at the end tho.

Level crossings in Auckland rail:
South line 4 (north of Papakura)
East 0
West 15 (to Henderson)

But many of these crossings are for roads where the geography makes it hard to build a road tunnel or overbridge (not to mention expensive.

The best solution is to pick key road crossings and upgrade their safety a bit more, and shut the more minor road level crossings. Like Kingdon St crossing at Newmarket was shut for the temporary West station. Didn't cause massive traffic jams, did it?

But as a start you could put the ARTA planners on a level crossing and run trains over them repeatedly. Sadly, Mactional are likely to replace them with consultants at 5 times the price.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home