- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Does the Beckham comment make Key a backstabber?

Who knew Key was such a hater?

I don't know much about soccer and I don't really know much about David Beckham other than he is very good at soccer, a topic as I pointed out, I don't really know much about.

What I do know is that when someone has a working class accent, they get judged as stupid and thick. You see it in this counter with Sue Bradford and I'm guessing in a country as class conscious as Britain, Beckham gets his far share of shit because of how he speaks.

Here are some of his supposedly dumb quotes...

"My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7."

"Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had."

"I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet."

“Their homework is so hard these days. I sat down with Brooklyn the other day — and I was like, ‘Victoria, maybe you should do the homework tonight.”


...for a person who has a microphone shoved into his face every time he steps outside his house, these comments hardly seem the examples of an outright moron and could be the words of someone in a hurry not thinking the phrase through, so I do wonder how much of it is class generated bigotry as opposed to batshit thickness.

Regardless of how smart or stupid Beckham is, doesn't it reek of Key as a backstabber? Beckham kindly spent time with his son and had a kick around, if anything Key should be thankful, instead he bags Beckham.

Key's great appeal to the laid back kiwi is that he's a guy you would have a beer with at your BBQ, however backstabbing is not a likable trait in any guest or Prime Minister.

Is that a scratch on Mr Key's polished persona?

FACEBOOK TWITTER

6 Comments:

At 7/11/12 8:02 am, Blogger The Contrarian said...

"...for a person who has a microphone shoved into his face every time he steps outside his house, these comments hardly seem the examples of an outright moron and could be the words of someone in a hurry not thinking the phrase through,"

Except if it is John Key you mean?

 
At 7/11/12 8:06 am, Blogger The Contrarian said...

"...for a person who has a microphone shoved into his face every time he steps outside his house, these comments hardly seem the examples of an outright moron and could be the words of someone in a hurry not thinking the phrase through,"

Except if it is John Key you mean...then it is a gaffe/insult/sign of stupidity. I don't support Key in his comments at all but at least recognise the hypocrisy of this statement....oh but you won't - you'll lay down an insult of some kind then refuse to comment any further (if you even publish this comment).

 
At 7/11/12 9:01 am, Blogger Zoe Black said...

Beckham makes more money and has a higher net worth than Key, more famous, and can fill a stadium, but apparently Key is "smarter". I ask you who is really winning?

 
At 7/11/12 10:43 am, Blogger Bomber said...

Contrarian your criticism is so simplistic it is obvious troll behavior. I have a very clear don't feed the trolls policy so don't usually bother publishing bullshit comments like yours.

Your desperate and pathetic attempt to paint me as a hypocrite is a tired ploy, so let's look at what I actually said.

I listed quotes attributed to Beckham and suggested his working class accent has more to do with the promotion of him as stupid than what he is actually saying.

Now let's compare those quotes with what Key has said, there is a clear difference in intent, a difference you seem incapable of grasping Contrarian.

Your insinuation that Key is on par in terms of media attention as Beckham is so far off the green I don't think there is any point continuing in discussing it further.

You would have had a point if I had focused on Key's sluggish pronunciation and used that as my basis of criticism, but I did not. I suggested Beckham's intent is very different from Key's intent in terms of his comments.

If that makes me a hypocrite in your eyes, you have very selective eyes.

 
At 7/11/12 10:45 am, Blogger Bomber said...

Your need to have a go seems more connected to your climate denial and being called on that on this blog rather than legitimate comment.

 
At 8/11/12 9:21 am, Blogger The Contrarian said...

I don't deny climate change and never have denied it and have certainly not denied it here.

You already know this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home